• Welcome to the a2b2 discussion board
  • Check out the main site here
  • Get some merch here
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Title: What are your favourite books you have read?
Thread Modes
[Image: 134344d1-c5ec-4bc5-b42d-9e855b4c688a.jpg]
a̶2̶b̶2̶ 

[Image: LIRFONS-by-Pawel-kuczynski.jpg]

one of my favorite books ive read was The Underground Abductor in Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales series. that whole collection of books have plenty of good reads in my opinion.

[Image: looking-through-you.jpg]
now look at me

The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett.

Hitchiker's guide to galaxy. Incredibly funny. Just a pleasure to read really.

Doors and Windows on. Motions on.

No doubt Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Read it in rehab over the course of a couple weeks and never has any book stuck with me so long afterwards. Really haunting imagery and wordplay

Don Quixote has been one of my favourites for well over a decade now.

Got a big love for mental Russian writers. Mainly Nabokov, but Gogol was cool too. Tolstoy also got a lot of good shit, but just never went that deep into his biography.

Ada or Ardor, Lolita and Transparent Things had me read them all twice, although with Ada I had to stop again when trying to re-read it haha. Those are however my favorites from Nabokov. Ada is extremely hard to read, and one where it feels like he is shitting on the reader at all times, but it makes it rewarding in the end too. Lolita is easier and also got the beautiful prose, while dealing with a quite nasty subject and a terrible (and unreliable) main character

Quote:“...for the human brain can become the best torture house of all those it has invented, established and used in a millions of years, in millions of lands, on millions of howling creatures.” ada or ador

Quote:“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.” lolita (duh)

Quote:“This is, I believe, it: not the crude anguish of physical death but the incomparable pangs of the mysterious mental maneuver needed to pass from one state of being to another.” Transparent Things

God, I love Nabokov. He got a few books that are sub standard, and those not written by him in English do suffer a bit from the translation. But he's an amazing writer and fluent in several languages as his books also shows.

For Gogol my favorite is probably The Overcoat. It's an easy read, and quite funny and sad at the same time.
[Image: 60SH2zX.png]                       [Image: hczZyMQ.png]

(01-05-2021, 04:56 AM)Woodenlung Wrote: Got a big love for mental Russian writers. Mainly Nabokov, but Gogol was cool too. Tolstoy also got a lot of good shit, but just never went that deep into his biography.

Ada or Ardor, Lolita and Transparent Things had me read them all twice, although with Ada I had to stop again when trying to re-read it haha. Those are however my favorites from Nabokov. Ada is extremely hard to read, and one where it feels like he is shitting on the reader at all times, but it makes it rewarding in the end too. Lolita is easier and also got the beautiful prose, while dealing with a quite nasty subject and a terrible (and unreliable) main character

Quote:“...for the human brain can become the best torture house of all those it has invented, established and used in a millions of years, in millions of lands, on millions of howling creatures.” ada or ador

Quote:“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.” lolita (duh)

Quote:“This is, I believe, it: not the crude anguish of physical death but the incomparable pangs of the mysterious mental maneuver needed to pass from one state of being to another.” Transparent Things

God, I love Nabokov. He got a few books that are sub standard, and those not written by him in English do suffer a bit from the translation. But he's an amazing writer and fluent in several languages as his books also shows.

For Gogol my favorite is probably The Overcoat. It's an easy read, and quite funny and sad at the same time.

How do you feel about Dostoeyevsky? Just finished Brothers after a 2 year period of reading it and overall liked it a bunch. Definitely interested in expanding into more russian literature gonna check out some of the ones youve mentioned
~feedback, shits wack, crack smack~
looking for a bald headed bitch to eat bushs baked beans with
[Image: Snapchat-587757227.jpg]

I've only listened (yeah yeah I know)  to crime and punishment, and I must say it was good, but not great for me. I really should try and give him another chance though.

If you try any nabokov do not start with ada or ardor haha. It's very much an acquired taste through reading all if his crazy ramblings.
[Image: 60SH2zX.png]                       [Image: hczZyMQ.png]

Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun tetralogy

[Image: m78z5mP.gif][Image: m78z5mP.gif]