• Welcome to the a2b2 discussion board
  • Check out the main site here
  • Get some merch here
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Title: A2B2 & the Plastic Solutions
Thread Modes
Bug 
Back in elementary school (BC, Canada) our class learned about how to recycle. I very fondly remember that we had to do a rap performance on the subject of environmental awareness. We rapped in front of the school, "Re-re-recycle!" was one of the bars. We had some fun, though kids in the audience weren't all that excited. Recently, I went to Texas for the first time. I got invited to a gun range just to play, and at the end of it, one of my friends asked if there were any recycling bins to throw his bottle away. The lady said, "Welcome to America!". We laughed, though it felt unfortunate that we couldn't dispose of it. I wasn't sure what happened to it later as it likely went into the garbage. I think back to that day often. 

I think A2B2 is a up to the challenge of creating a better future. 

I've decided to split this up into what I know, what solutions there are currently, and what scientists and others believe the future needs. 

Things that I know:
-Plastic is difficult to get rid of naturally, it stays in the environment for a long time.
-The production of plastic causes carbon emissions, air pollution comes along with it.
-Wildlife are very susceptible to getting caught in plastics, such as plastic containers or straps.
-Wildlife in general is harmed as a result.
-Plastic was simply made to make things convenient, while also used to keep food fresh and away from bacteria, and protect humans, such as in gloves or helmets. 

Some examples of solutions I've seen:

Plastic Interceptors (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDCUYXkNPEI&t=105s

Simply Cleaning the area of plastic and garbage, shore cleanup, neighborhood cleanup, etc. 
https://theoceancleanup.com/

Aspergillus tubingensis: fungi that can biodegrade polyester polyurethane, which is found in tires, gaskets, bumpers, jackets, sponges, cushions, automobiles etc. and lacks degradability. 

Vancouver BC, switching to paper bags and grocery stores not carrying plastic bags at all: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021ENV0046-001455

One idea that I had:
Make everything that is plastic biodegradable (e.g. caps and bottles made of recyclable materials + very little plastic) (Though this is difficult as bacteria may get in or things may get easily damaged).

Analysis of the video, focuses for the future:
In the "Why TeamSeas Doesn't Work: Their Interceptors" video, Simon Clark, the presenter, gives suggestions on how to effectively start action against plastic from entering rivers and bodies of waters in the first place: It's to get to the source first. The reason why plastic interceptors do not work is that scientists argue that there are more effective ways to clean plastic/garbage. 

I think the recent law added locally for us has been pretty effective in preventing garbage and plastic from going out. I have to always buy what I can carry and only limit myself to reusable bags. 

There will be many fun solutions to be made during this process that I'll come up with other people and share. 

I think the main goal for me right now is to just prevent plastic from coming outdoors to the landfill, preventing it from reaching other places from the source. Basically using only plastics that I need, containers/food wrap, and lessening the amount of plastic bags I throw away. 

One idea I will research first is how the production of plastics started. I'm interested in looking into the ways it started/current solutions.

If anyone has any solutions, experiences, or problems they've faced, please share! Thank you + have fun!!

No offense but this is a pretty optimistic point of view. The only way to cut down on plastic use is to stop manufacturing it all together. Even if there is a healthier alternative to plastic, most major corporations wont make the switch simply because plastic is cheaper.

(08-30-2022, 03:47 AM)Miklo Wrote: No offense but this is a pretty optimistic point of view. The only way to cut down on plastic use is to stop manufacturing it all together. Even if there is a healthier alternative to plastic, most major corporations wont make the switch simply because plastic is cheaper.

Hi Miklo, I agree to that, I think that solving the plastic problem is pretty optimistic and will take a long time. I think that plastic solutions require a lot of planning and forethought for the future as well. I think that instead of making major corporations switch over, making a corporation in of itself, focusing on waste and plastic solutions will be a more viable option, kinda like Tesla as like a startup. I think my goal with it in the long-term would be to have a company that would make solutions towards that, research it, and maybe create jobs for artists to market the ideas using music/visual art. This obviously will take a lot of work and commitment to make, and needs a lot of teamwork. It would probably a place with scientists, tech people, and artists working together. Maybe even implementing the a2b2 bounty system to be able to pay these groups with the research they do, and having the community vote on the most effective working ideas. Funding for that would also be community focussed, maybe revenue from artists' work.

Hemp plastics are biodegradable but currently not as cheap to produce as petroleum based plastics. The way to get us off of oil plastic is to change the standards of plastics entirely.

You do this by efficient production of hemp plastic maybe combined with other plural bioplasts. A 3-6 month degrade time is a lot better than basically never. Right now you can't grow enough hemp to keep up with global demand especially with prohibition.

The solutions are there but in America you're dealing with regulatory capture preventing the viable answers to our problems. I mean how long have we had electric car technology? Practically forever but legacy industry inhibits progress.

Without plastic what would hollywood do?

There are many different kinds of plastic in use today, and it is unfortunate the planet is covered in them.... It would be cool if there were some kind of harmless chemical process discovered that allowed plastics to be melted and reshaped into sculptures by artists. That way instead of having plastic garbage litter the planet, there would be beautiful sculptures serving as a reminder of our collective struggles under mass manufacturing.

I think firstly though a way to reign in plastic manufacturing for popular interest would be beneficial in slowing this production. Otherwise it could go the way of carbon credits and become a market that reallocates its poisoning of the planet to less represented hemispheres.

Boiling, Filtering Water Can Get Rid of Microplastics, Study Finds

https://e360.yale.edu/digest/microplasti...er-boiling
Reporting for duty