• Welcome to the a2b2 discussion board
  • Check out the main site here
  • Get some merch here
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Title: Iron Man Tetsuo, Paris is Burning, and other recent watches
Thread Modes
After a while of not watching anything I recently watched the movie Iron Man Tetsuo from 1989. I really loved it Big Grin
The editing and special effects were very inspirational, though at times i did feel like i was watching power rangers. The soundtrack was also perfect for the movie and ive been listening to it a ton since i watched it. The story of what the director and crew went through to get this movie completed is also very inspirational to anyone whos even slightly interested in diy filmmaking. Its also just over an hour so its very to the point and does not overstay its welcome for a second.

Paris is Burning was also really great. Its a documentary from the late 80s covering the gay/drag queen scene of new york. I really like it compared to other documentaries because its sole focus is on the subjects, we dont cut away to any outside 'scholars' waxing poetic about whatever, its solely the perspective of the subjects. Its also very visually interesting and has some great music in it. It makes you feel like youre there hanging out with these people. Overall it has a very inspiring theme of survival but there are some sad aspects to it.

I recommend going into both these movies blind (and all movies for that matter)

I also watched Downtown 81, a movie from 1980/81 starring Jean Michel Basquiat and with cameo appearances from many other no-wave, new wave, punk artists etc. I was excited to watch this movie because of the setting it captures, but i was pretty disappointed. Some of the performances honestly reminded me of The Room, and this isnt helped by the fact that literally the entire film is dubbed over in post. There are a diverse handful of music performances which are all pretty good, but I wasnt impressed especially just after seeing these other 2 amazing movies.

I hope I get you to watch some things youve been wanting to or have never even known about. Basically, tldr, post your thoughts/recommendations on some things youve seen recently  Angel

Lux Æterna (2019) and Husbands (1970)

Lux Æterna is Gaspar Noe's new movie and I was really excited to see it, I didn't think it was as good as climax but it was still great. Probably his most tame movie until the last 15 minutes *if you are an epileptic don't watch. 3.5/5

Husbands is a Cassavetes movie about... Husbands, it follows three best friends on their journey of life, death, and freedom, it's pretty slow but if you stick around its really rewarding. 4/5
Angel

(03-09-2021, 06:41 AM)Yandhi Wrote: Lux Æterna (2019) and Husbands (1970)

Lux Æterna is Gaspar Noe's new movie and I was really excited to see it, I didn't think it was as good as climax but it was still great. Probably his most tame movie until the last 15 minutes *if you are an epileptic don't watch. 3.5/5

Husbands is a Cassavetes movie about... Husbands, it follows three best friends on their journey of life, death, and freedom, it's pretty slow but if you stick around its really rewarding. 4/5

Holy shit, how did I not know that Noe had a new film?? Is there anywhere I can watch this? Am I gonna have to pirate?

I've been going though Peter Greenaway's filmography recently. His films are unbelievably beautiful.
[Image: vlcsnap-2020-11-30-22h10m13s593.png]

(03-17-2021, 09:58 PM)ross Wrote:

Holy shit, how did I not know that Noe had a new film?? Is there anywhere I can watch this? Am I gonna have to pirate?

I've been going though Peter Greenaway's filmography recently. His films are unbelievably beautiful.
Hi, I have a link to a download of the movie, please message me on discord.

Yandhi#0009
Angel

(03-18-2021, 06:02 AM)Yandhi Wrote:

Hi, I have a link to a download of the movie, please message me on discord.

Yandhi#0009

Hi, 
I'd also be interested in watching the film as it seems it won't be playing in my country anytime soon... So could I also ask for the link on discord?

Kairo 2001 is pretty good, especially for Lain fans
Do you like scary movies? What's your favorite?  Blush

Husbands is a Cassavetes movie about... Husbands, it follows three best friends on their journey of life, death, and freedom, it's pretty slow but if you stick around its really rewarding. 4

Peter Greenaway! I've only watched one of his films so far: the Draughtsman's contract, which I really enjoyed, I love the kinda ridiculouslly cryptic mystery and storytelling, the costumes and visualls are great - as you say very beautiful, and I love the Michael Nyman soundtrack
Local Cryptid

(04-14-2021, 07:39 PM)ant1quarian-h Wrote:

Husbands is a Cassavetes movie about... Husbands, it follows three best friends on their journey of life, death, and freedom, it's pretty slow but if you stick around its really rewarding. 4

Peter Greenaway! I've only watched one of his films so far: the Draughtsman's contract, which I really enjoyed, I love the kinda ridiculouslly cryptic mystery and storytelling, the costumes and visualls are great - as you say very beautiful, and I love the Michael Nyman soundtrack
You've gotta watch "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" and "The Baby of Mâcon", if you enjoyed The Draughtsman's Contact! Truly masterful film making.
[Image: vlcsnap-2020-11-30-22h10m13s593.png]

(04-15-2021, 12:25 PM)ross Wrote:
(04-14-2021, 07:39 PM)ant1quarian-h Wrote:

You've gotta watch "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" and "The Baby of Mâcon", if you enjoyed The Draughtsman's Contact! Truly masterful film making.

thanks will do !
Local Cryptid