• Welcome to the a2b2 discussion board
  • Check out the main site here
  • Get some merch here
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Title: What’s a “what the fuck” moment you’ve had in music?
Thread Modes
(02-24-2021, 07:45 PM)Winston Wrote: Discovering Death Grips and then discovering Zach Hill.

Basically all my life I loved heavy shit, probably because I came from family with extremely mild music tastes. Started with rock, Hey Bulldog from beatles being an early first, then I found heavy rock with AC/DC, Led Zeppelin. From there, I found heavy metal. Sabbath, maiden, system of a down, RATM, anything that goes hard.

Took a brief detour to get into dubstep / edm back when that was a huge thing because I loved the heavy electronic shit.

After that I found hip hop and got stuck on that as a genre for a while, and also fell in love with bangers in hip hop and songs that just went crazy hard.

Finding Death Grips though, holy shit. It's like they scratched an itch I had been searching for. It's a perfect blend of all elements that can go into heavy music.

But after playing the shit out of every death grips record I finally got around to listening to Zach Hill's solo shit. All of it is so fucking mind blowing. As a drummer his music just clicked with me. And I'm so thankful for finding Death Grips because otherwise I might not have come across zach hill...

Dude is a fucking creative genius and just mind bending drummer. Songs like Memo to the Man, Primitives Talk, Dizzy From The Twins, Dark Art, Hindsight is Nowhere, Keep Calm and Carry On... All of these songs just fucking blow my mind away

Seeing the video for Face Tat (the song) where Zach & Carson McWhirter are playing the track

https://youtu.be/hGi9SOFX5rc

Listening to ExMil that 1st time in 2011 was definitely a fun day

(02-24-2021, 04:34 PM)Zygma Wrote:
(02-24-2021, 04:56 AM)eingyi2 Wrote: bobba shmurdy getting released im so happy

based

(02-24-2021, 04:59 AM)33soteric Wrote: First time I stumbled across Black Moth Super Rainbow around 2009 during an experimental music deep dive on youtube, haven’t had a moment quite like that in a while.

Haven't heard of that, but it sounds really fucking cool. I'll check it out!

(02-24-2021, 04:06 PM)Balbis Wrote: When I watched the black midi KEXP performance.

That was a landmark moment for me too, I love that video so much.

Nows a great time to get into Black Moth Super Rainbow, his other project Tobacco is coming out with a new album FUCKED UP FRIENDS 3 soon!

(02-23-2021, 08:59 PM)Zygma Wrote: What’s a moment in music where you just couldn’t believe what you were hearing or were just stricken with euphoria? 

I have a few songs where the music really just crashes down on me. 

Here I'll list songs and hyperlink some specific moments I really like from the songs for anyone to listen to if they wish. I'm leaving off a lot to keep the list as short as I can, sticking mostly to some type of rock.

BBNG - Earl (1:40)
BBNG - Flashing Lights (3:25 and onward)
Black Midi - Near DT, MI (1:33)
Black Midi - Years Ago (1:00)
The Brave Little Abacus - "But I Won't Always Be On The Receiving End!" (0:00)
Cherubs - Stag Party (0:00)
Don Caballero - Room Temperature Suite (2:10)
Hella - Biblical Violence (0:55)  
Hella - Cafeteria Bananas (0:00, 0:35)
Hella - Better Get a Broom! (0:29, 1:11)
Hella - Hello Great Architects of the Universe (0:00)
New Ethic - Dragon Slayer (0:11)
Old Gray - Vulcan Death Grip (0:28)
Slint - Ron (0:17
Slint - Pat (2:45
This Heat - Paper Hats (0:43)
Midori - Wasshoi (0:00)
Midori - Yukiko-san (0:00)

I spent a lot of time hyperlinking everything, I'd appreciate it if you would just listen to one that's from a band you don't know, to see if you like it.

As a whole, Les Rallizes Denudes. Their whole presence, sound, background (or lack thereof), all of it was just a "what the fuck" moment for me when I discovered them. Like, how the hell does a band that is considered a legend in Japan and had played for just about 3 decades have NO studio albums and practically NO history about pretty much anyone and everyone involved? They are such a mystery to me and I will never not be intrigued by them (also go listen to them they are fucking fantastic) (also also give what little history they have a look, its so fucking weird. One of the guitarists hijacked a civilian plane on behalf of the Japanese red army if I remember correctly).

[Image: Les-Rallizes-D-nud-s-1974.jpg]
AKUMADEMO AKUMANONAI!!! 

when i found out about albina sexova
до фанты (papich rage) пью=) (roflanebashy) после =) =) =)<3 B) B) =D (roflandovolen)
[Image: image.png]

The best "what the fuck" moment I ever had with music was listening to James Blake's self-titled album for the first time. My jaw was literally on the floor the entire time, I could barely speak because of how flabbergasted I was. I had been consuming copious amounts of Death Grips' music for a long time before that, so the use of empty space and rests completely blew me away. I was also smoking a flower vape with a lovely lady, who showed me the music, so that could have contributed to the wtf-ness of the entire listening session Wink